Beyond Football - Freestyle Football Forum
Soccer => Soccer Forum => Topic started by: Tito on Jul 04, 2008, 11:01: PM
-
Okocha Emotional After Testimonial
Jay-Jay Okocha had to choke back the tears after his emotional testimonial game in Nigeria on Thursday.
Over 20,000 fans braved a torrential downpour to pay tribute to the Nigerian ball-wizard, who retired from football after 18 memorable years.
The 34-year-old played a half for both sides as the Super Eagles XI beat a World XI 2-1 at the Warri Township stadium in Delta State, with big African stars such as Nwankwo Kanu, Joseph Yobo, El-Hadji Diouf, Benjani, Lucas Radebe, Mohammed Kallon, Victor Ikpeba, Carlton Cole and Abdoulaye Traore all there to pay their respects onthe field.
Okocha, who fittingly scored the winning goal for the Super Eagles, said after the match: "It's a day of joy considering the achievements and adoration in my football career but also one of sadness as I am leaving a game that brought me fame and fortune.
"I thank the clubs and fans where I have played as well as team-mates and of course the Nigerian public for their love and support throughout my career."
Okocha, whose last club was Hull City, enjoyed a distinguished career, including spells with Bolton, Fenerbahce, Qatar SC and Paris Saint Germain.
true a footballing icon
i got much love for him (no homo)
-
class player, class guy.
i'll never forget that season he had for Bolton. and what he did to Arsenal...
-
i remember that wonder season he had at Bolton he was truely entertaining to watch a shame he wont be playing for Hull in the prem next season.
-
Mod - Next time just post the link.
-
he dismantled Keane at 2:30
he was definitely a special player
-
African legend.
-
one of the true gr8s, we shud all have a minute of silence in his memory
-
He was fantastic. I wonder why he never got involved with one of the bigger clubs.
-
one of the greats to have ever touched the feild. 1:40 was against your beloved bayern adi
-
Damn! I was really hoping to see him playing with Hull in the Premiership.
-
me 2 but life goes on he will never be forgotten
-
He always had a smile on his face, he was kind of like the nigerian ronaldhinho :rockit:
-
minus the fag but still with a bit a swag
-
I loved him and as a big Nigerian fan it was wonderful seeing him in the green shirt in 98 and 96 especially. he is Nigerias greatest ever player and i wish him nothing but the best. jay-Jay, so nice they named him twice!
-
I was also waiting to see him in the Premiership next season so badly. I just had to up this thread on time, I remember 96 Olympics when Nigeria won one of the greatest nights. I was young tho than I really began to notice and appreciate this lad in the 98 World cup especially his performance against Spain, one of my best world cup memories. Ever since then when ever I seen him play and dribble he made me want to go to the park with a ball and play. Only a few footballers made me feel that way.
Truly one of the most skillful players to play the game even if he never won a world cup, champions league or other prestigious titles of that nature, he had the quality and class to do so at the right club.