Beyond Football - Freestyle Football Forum

Soccer => Soccer Forum => Topic started by: TheKingNut on May 16, 2008, 06:28: AM

Title: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheKingNut on May 16, 2008, 06:28: AM
I know people will destroy me for this, but I'm backing Spain for Euro 2008. Torres is coming off the back of a great season. There midfield, for me, is probably the most technically gifted in the world.  Put that with a great goalkeeper, and a decent backline, I think they have what it takes.

Oh and by the way, Croatia will go out with a whimper...mark my words
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: Adi on May 16, 2008, 09:13: AM
I don't think you'll hear too many complaints with your predictions.

I too think that Spain will do well this year. I see them in the semi-finals. The only problem I think they may have is the lack of a true defensive midfielder. They have quality central midfielders but there is no true defensive mid that can do the dirty work. I really think that this has been their problem over the past few years.

Croatia will fall out in the group stages I think. The lack of Eduardo will hurt them, and their recent form hasn't been special.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheKingNut on May 16, 2008, 09:54: AM
Finally we can agree on something, Adi  :thumbsup:

Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: jonte on May 16, 2008, 10:48: AM
They dont lack skill. Spains problem is that they are not united as a country should be. Catalans, basques etc. They dont have same spirit as other countries from what I have understood and seen.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheGodEmperor on May 16, 2008, 01:08: PM
jonte good point there...but yeah i'ver alawys been a spain fan since my parents have strong ties to spain, and I'll stick with them no matter what. Even iof I werent a fan, I would predict a Spanish win. They have loads of talent, young, but with enough experience to make good decisions, not like in 2006.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: cigar omar on May 16, 2008, 04:08: PM
They won't make it past the quarters.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheKingNut on May 16, 2008, 04:23: PM
totalfootball10, don't write on any of my topics please. On this occasion you actually have written something which makes sense but...never write on one of my topics, OK?

Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: Adi on May 16, 2008, 06:43: PM
 :stupid:
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheGodEmperor on May 17, 2008, 03:02: AM
kingnut, do you dislike me because I make typos? You can't bar me from your topics. Anyways, what have I said that ticked you off?
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheKingNut on May 17, 2008, 09:21: AM
For the most, all your posts are really really bad. You struggle to make it through a sentence without sounding like a complete idiot. Your views and opinions are vague and unfounded.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: cigar omar on May 17, 2008, 02:17: PM
Co-signed 100%.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheGodEmperor on May 17, 2008, 03:16: PM
For the most, all your posts are really really bad. You struggle to make it through a sentence without sounding like a complete idiot. Your views and opinions are vague and unfounded.
the expression is 'for the most part.' And melbourne doesn't like me because I support my religion and its country. Also, your sentence structure is far more ponderous than mine.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: cigar omar on May 17, 2008, 03:39: PM
No I don't like the fact that you think your more knowledgeable than everyone in every aspect.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheKingNut on May 17, 2008, 05:07: PM
A momentary lapse of concentration on my part, totalfootball. At least it's a rare occurrence my old mucker. Ponderous? Stop trying to sound clever, you are an egg. If you can edit a critically acclaimed poem at the age of 10, then by God, I should start writing novels because theoretically there must be some money in it for me.

Melbourne, you are a ledge. totalfootball started crying earlier telling me about how he knows some poet or something, it was very funny. The thing about this lad is, is that he thinks he's right despite the fact that he knows nothing about the game. Some of his posts are insanely bad. Go and read the thread entitled "soccer strategy" he talks about a formation which he thinks is the best in the world, yet no coach in the world ever employs it. Maybe totalfootball is ahead of his time? Maybe he knows something we don't? Hahahahahaha....I am of course asking these questions in a sarcastic manner.




Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: JohnnyDrama on May 17, 2008, 05:12: PM
I am of course asking these questions in a sarcastic manner.





thanks for clearing that one up
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheGodEmperor on May 18, 2008, 02:35: AM
maybe I just prefer a strategy that suits me as a winger  :dontknow:
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheKingNut on May 18, 2008, 03:02: PM
What you are not seeing though is that this formation would not be good for a winger. The full backs would be forced into playing too narrow, making it very hard to play out. In my personal opinion this sort of shape would encourage a more direct style. There are not enough bodies in midfield to pop it around. If the midfield played tight then maybe I could see the team getting hold of it in there but I just don't think a team could play out in this shape.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheGodEmperor on May 19, 2008, 02:42: AM
lol same post. In the future lets keep soccer strategy to its own thread. But you offer good criticism  :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: Adi on May 19, 2008, 08:41: AM
Raul and Bojan have been left of the Spain squad! :saywhat:

I'm sorry but I would definitly bring those two with me, especially Raul. Raul has been in great form this season. He seems to have his fighting spirit back, and he's scoring plenty of goals.

Spain called up Senna. I think he could be that missing defensive midfielder for them. They need someone to hold back the Pirlo, Ballack of the other team. The thing is, who will the drop in the midfield to play him? They have Alonso and Xavi in the middle already. And surely they can't drop Villa or Torres up top. It's going to be tough...
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheGodEmperor on May 19, 2008, 08:50: AM
whatever happened to Capel? I saw him play in the Under 21s in 2007, and he was tireless, had great skills, and great vision.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheKingNut on May 19, 2008, 01:07: PM
Senna is a box to box man and I don't think he has the discipline to be the player that shields the back four. In international football it is far more important to have a Pirlo/Alonso type figure in front of the back four dictating than a destroyer in front of them.

I would play this:

                              Casillas

Ramos             Puyol        Juanito      Capdevila

                              Alonso
             Fabregas                 Xavi

Iniesta                                             Silva

                           Torres           

Iniesta could float off the right, or even change flanks with Silva on occasion. Villa could come off the bench for a midfielder and go 4-4-2 if needed.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheGodEmperor on May 19, 2008, 01:09: PM
seems to be an astute strategy. Well done. But where is Capel now? Its really bothering me. I'm not saying he should be named to the Spanish roster yet, but still...what a player.

EDIT: never =mind, he's on Seville I think
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: Buckwheat156 on May 23, 2008, 01:07: AM
haha i love how all of thkingnuts topics are bold statements that would piss people of haha dont think spain will win it they havent won anything for a long time. they have the talent...and a racist manager. that is a combination not suitable for a european champeon
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: kolee33 on May 23, 2008, 04:54: AM
yeah...spain will win this euro..they have prefect players..........
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: Adi on May 23, 2008, 08:09: AM
Senna is a box to box man and I don't think he has the discipline to be the player that shields the back four. In international football it is far more important to have a Pirlo/Alonso type figure in front of the back four dictating than a destroyer in front of them.

I would play this:

                              Casillas

Ramos             Puyol        Juanito      Capdevila

                              Alonso
             Fabregas                 Xavi

Iniesta                                             Silva

                           Torres           

Iniesta could float off the right, or even change flanks with Silva on occasion. Villa could come off the bench for a midfielder and go 4-4-2 if needed.

You'd sit Villa on the bench? I like the formation and the players you chose, but I doubt we'll be seeing Villa anywhere but on the field.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: cigar omar on May 23, 2008, 01:51: PM
Senna is a box to box man and I don't think he has the discipline to be the player that shields the back four. In international football it is far more important to have a Pirlo/Alonso type figure in front of the back four dictating than a destroyer in front of them.

I would play this:

                              Casillas

Ramos             Puyol        Juanito      Capdevila

                              Alonso
             Fabregas                 Xavi

Iniesta                                             Silva

                           Torres           

Iniesta could float off the right, or even change flanks with Silva on occasion. Villa could come off the bench for a midfielder and go 4-4-2 if needed.
This is the problem don't you see all of those players in the midfield are too alike.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: Buckwheat156 on May 26, 2008, 02:49: AM
yeah...spain will win this euro..they have prefect players..........

young patawon i should remind you that football is about luck, skill, and managerial talents  prime example greece 2004 but they do have great players no doubt
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: cigar omar on Jun 06, 2008, 03:25: AM
A momentary lapse of concentration on my part, totalfootball. At least it's a rare occurrence my old mucker. Ponderous? Stop trying to sound clever, you are an egg. If you can edit a critically acclaimed poem at the age of 10, then by God, I should start writing novels because theoretically there must be some money in it for me.

Melbourne, you are a ledge. totalfootball started crying earlier telling me about how he knows some poet or something, it was very funny. The thing about this lad is, is that he thinks he's right despite the fact that he knows nothing about the game. Some of his posts are insanely bad. Go and read the thread entitled "soccer strategy" he talks about a formation which he thinks is the best in the world, yet no coach in the world ever employs it. Maybe totalfootball is ahead of his time? Maybe he knows something we don't? Hahahahahaha....I am of course asking these questions in a sarcastic manner.





:lol: how did I miss this?
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheKingNut on Jun 06, 2008, 03:36: AM
Melbourne, they are not alike though. Alonso dictates from deep and will happily shield the back four. Xavi and Fabregas have great mobility and will get about the pitch. I must stress that in international football it is far more important to have players in the middle that can get around the pitch and pass it. This is not the Prem, there is not so much of a need for a destroyer in there. Creativity can come from Fabregas, Silva and Iniesta; they will play those killer passes while Xavi and Alonso will just control the speed of the game.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: cigar omar on Jun 06, 2008, 05:02: AM
Besides Silva and Alonso, the other three are a bit too alike. Plus the set up of the midfield looks too crowded. I would go with Villa and Torres up front. Overcrowding the midfield will probably work against some opposition. But against a team with 2 good DMs and a strong back 4. Could shut them down nicely. Also Torres hasn't got much help up front. In terms of goal scoring. Thats just my opinion on that midfield, might not exactly plays out that way.  :dontknow:
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: kolee33 on Jun 06, 2008, 05:54: AM
spain will win euro............................and fernando torres will be top scorer wth 7goals........
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheKingNut on Jun 06, 2008, 12:20: PM
Your worried about goals from midfield? Fabregas scores quite a bit, as do Iniesta and Silva. Torres has played up front on his own a lot for Liverpool and done very well and scored goals. Spain have such strength in midfield that they need to utilize it. Villa can be good off the bench for them.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: cigar omar on Jun 07, 2008, 04:29: AM
I still wouldn't bet on Spain winning it or going past the Quarters.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheGodEmperor on Jun 07, 2008, 04:32: AM
besides the jinx that they have causing them to underperform, I see no reason why they couldn't win it all  :dontknow:

Melbourne, whats your reasoning?
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: cigar omar on Jun 07, 2008, 04:44: AM
I just can't see Spain being able to get passed France, Italy, Holland, or Germany to win it. Spain always do very well until they face a strong team.
Title: Re: Spain; Euro Champs
Post by: TheGodEmperor on Jun 07, 2008, 04:45: AM
I can see them beating anyone right now