Beyond Football - Freestyle Football Forum

Freestyle Soccer Forum => Freestyle Chat => Topic started by: oLi on Jun 17, 2011, 04:17: AM

Title: A word of advice
Post by: oLi on Jun 17, 2011, 04:17: AM
In terms of freestyle I consider myself a person of very high knowledge. I dare to say that there are not many out there who can touch a wide variety of topics in a manner that I can. There's really no need for me to go on further with my arrogance as most of you would put it. Rather I will go straight on to what this post is really for, me helping you.

I will here share the best tips that I have for a few random things that are crossing my mind this very moment. This is basically just a random and general post with me sharing what ever's on my mind while writing.

Focus on improving.
This is key. Set goals. If you can do 10 atws today and you really want to improve your atws, decide that in 2 weeks or 2 months (whatever, depends on how much you train) you should be able to do 20.

Ask for help. Find someone who can help you, someone who knows much. Be nice to this person. Make sure he knows you appreciate whatever helps he gives you. Don't overload this person with dumb questions. You'd be surprised how many of the worlds best freestylers would help you out if you just didn't ask the dumbest questions ever and showed zero gratitude.

If you have a performance make sure you actually put a routine together and do tricks that the crowd like that may seem stupid to you (in example carousel or hat slip). Might sound stupid about the whole routine part but I actually completely ignored that many times and just went on stage "freestyling" doing whatever came to mind. This is no professional approach. Do not do that. Make up a routine, pratice it. Stick to it.

Crowd connection. You gotta do something do show that you are aware of the crowd. Something as easy as a shoulder stall while waving and smiling can boost your performance tremendously and if you're busking best believe this will help you earn more.

Every training should have a goal. Decide what you're training. Is it tatw amatw nt? If so, then don't do a failed tatw and go on to do some stupid combo. If you're trying to do tatw amatw nt and you do a bad tatw just grab the ball with your hands and start over. Don't exhaust yourself by doing stupid combos, unless you're actually focusing on doing tatw combos, in that case that's exactly what you'd want to do.

If you get a gig, be professional. Talk with who evers boss and let he/she know you are up for helping with other stuff as well. Leaving a good impression is essential. This summer I have a lot of gigs booked and all are thanks to the way I have handeled many situations with employers, making sure I am doing everything I possibly could to have them satisfied (no wild sexual ideas here please lol).

Don't undercharge. Your services are worth a lot of money. Charging 50 euro for a show is a joke unless it's nearby for a very small football club where you are allowed to leave straight after the show or some scenario like that. If you're doing something for a large company and you're actually a good freestyler make sure you charge accordingly and make sure you actually feel like you're worth that money.

All right that's about it for this time. Hopefully you guys enjoyed that and if you did make sure you let me know and I might stop by another time to give you some more. For now that will be all! Take care!
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: numberten on Jun 17, 2011, 05:20: AM
Nice post oli, appreciate the tips.
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: Armaan on Jun 17, 2011, 07:10: AM
I fucking love you oLi, you are a true genius!  :You_Rock_Emoticon:
Great post, thanks for the tips!  :great:
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: DanTheMan on Jun 17, 2011, 07:33: AM
very good tip, the professionalism tip is vital if you wanna get gigs..

in fact, i find most "freestyle agencys" with the exception of Streets United, are completely unprofessional and lack organization skills.. so if you're going to take it into your own hands, be very cordial and nice at performances etc, it will get you far

i agree with everything, especially the asking for help thing

nice one Oli
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: oLi on Jun 17, 2011, 07:41: AM
Cheers y'all glad you like it
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: Alex17 on Jun 17, 2011, 12:53: PM
Cheers! well said  :sign0098:
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: MisterioFF on Jun 17, 2011, 08:32: PM
true words of wisdom, i agree with everything stated here
people should really appreciate topics like this  :sign0098:
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: OskarD on Jun 17, 2011, 10:19: PM
thank you for writing this!
it's gonna help a ton, especially the parts with the professionalism and LP's related stuff.
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: Batr on Jun 17, 2011, 10:31: PM
thanks man !
i would like to hear more about some lower improvement  mentality advices !
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: oLi on Jun 17, 2011, 11:18: PM
In the future I will be sharing these on www.facebook.com/olivercherek (http://www.facebook.com/olivercherek) so make sure to check that out

What would you like next? Lower improvement mentality or just mentality in general sounds like a good topic.
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: Batr on Jun 17, 2011, 11:51: PM
In the future I will be sharing these on www.facebook.com/olivercherek (http://www.facebook.com/olivercherek) so make sure to check that out

What would you like next? Lower improvement mentality or just mentality in general sounds like a good topic.

whatever you want boss  :grin:
it would be also nice to read about  motivation, when and why the  motivation disappears ?
imo being motivated is the most important thing in freestyle.
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: L_I_S on Jun 18, 2011, 12:55: AM
Don't undercharge. Your services are worth a lot of money. Charging 50 euro for a show is a joke unless it's nearby for a very small football club where you are allowed to leave straight after the show or some scenario like that. If you're doing something for a large company and you're actually a good freestyler make sure you charge accordingly and make sure you actually feel like you're worth that money.
How much do you think is fair for a freestyler to charge for 2 separate 5min shows? Not for a small football club, mid tier event.
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: oLi on Jun 18, 2011, 03:13: AM
Don't undercharge. Your services are worth a lot of money. Charging 50 euro for a show is a joke unless it's nearby for a very small football club where you are allowed to leave straight after the show or some scenario like that. If you're doing something for a large company and you're actually a good freestyler make sure you charge accordingly and make sure you actually feel like you're worth that money.
How much do you think is fair for a freestyler to charge for 2 separate 5min shows? Not for a small football club, mid tier event.
Is the event in your area? How were you contacted by this person? Can you benefit further by doing the show as in more jobs from this company or perhaps get a good amount of exposure?

There are many questions to answer, but in general ok jobs pay 200-250 euros for a gig like the one you mentioned. Depending on a lot (trust me there are so many things to take in to this equation) of things you might want to go as low as 150 euros or as high as 500.

Lets say you want 350 euro for the gig then you just say "I usually charge 350 euros for gigs like this one" and you await for a response. Usually they just answer straight away "ok" or "that's too much".

Another thing is, are you going to lose sleep over losing a gig? How are you seated financially? I personally am doing very well so if I get contacted I just say my price and if they go no then I go ok adios and I have no trouble sleeping over losing any gig. However if you're struggling to put food on your table you might wanna agree to do gigs for a lower price if the company doesnt wanna give you what you originally said you wanted.
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: L_I_S on Jun 18, 2011, 04:08: AM
Don't undercharge. Your services are worth a lot of money. Charging 50 euro for a show is a joke unless it's nearby for a very small football club where you are allowed to leave straight after the show or some scenario like that. If you're doing something for a large company and you're actually a good freestyler make sure you charge accordingly and make sure you actually feel like you're worth that money.
How much do you think is fair for a freestyler to charge for 2 separate 5min shows? Not for a small football club, mid tier event.
Is the event in your area? How were you contacted by this person? Can you benefit further by doing the show as in more jobs from this company or perhaps get a good amount of exposure?

There are many questions to answer, but in general ok jobs pay 200-250 euros for a gig like the one you mentioned. Depending on a lot (trust me there are so many things to take in to this equation) of things you might want to go as low as 150 euros or as high as 500.

Lets say you want 350 euro for the gig then you just say "I usually charge 350 euros for gigs like this one" and you await for a response. Usually they just answer straight away "ok" or "that's too much".

Another thing is, are you going to lose sleep over losing a gig? How are you seated financially? I personally am doing very well so if I get contacted I just say my price and if they go no then I go ok adios and I have no trouble sleeping over losing any gig. However if you're struggling to put food on your table you might wanna agree to do gigs for a lower price if the company doesn't wanna give you what you originally said you wanted.
The event is a few hours drive away. I guess the extra exposure is good, I don't think any extra shows will come out of that area since it's outside the major city.
I will keep that information in mind.
One more thing, do you charge more or less if you offer a deal with more shows? Example: 2 shows $300, 4 shows $550 or do you charge $600 for the 4 shows?
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: Lucaso on Jun 18, 2011, 04:50: AM
All of you who want to hear more of this advice and want your questions be answered... come to Prague for World Champ where we are going to set up "Oli´s Advice Corner" called "OAC: what´s bothering you, my freestyle pal?"

Agree, Oli? :great:
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: oLi on Jun 18, 2011, 06:46: AM
Don't undercharge. Your services are worth a lot of money. Charging 50 euro for a show is a joke unless it's nearby for a very small football club where you are allowed to leave straight after the show or some scenario like that. If you're doing something for a large company and you're actually a good freestyler make sure you charge accordingly and make sure you actually feel like you're worth that money.
How much do you think is fair for a freestyler to charge for 2 separate 5min shows? Not for a small football club, mid tier event.
Is the event in your area? How were you contacted by this person? Can you benefit further by doing the show as in more jobs from this company or perhaps get a good amount of exposure?

There are many questions to answer, but in general ok jobs pay 200-250 euros for a gig like the one you mentioned. Depending on a lot (trust me there are so many things to take in to this equation) of things you might want to go as low as 150 euros or as high as 500.

Lets say you want 350 euro for the gig then you just say "I usually charge 350 euros for gigs like this one" and you await for a response. Usually they just answer straight away "ok" or "that's too much".

Another thing is, are you going to lose sleep over losing a gig? How are you seated financially? I personally am doing very well so if I get contacted I just say my price and if they go no then I go ok adios and I have no trouble sleeping over losing any gig. However if you're struggling to put food on your table you might wanna agree to do gigs for a lower price if the company doesn't wanna give you what you originally said you wanted.
The event is a few hours drive away. I guess the extra exposure is good, I don't think any extra shows will come out of that area since it's outside the major city.
I will keep that information in mind.
One more thing, do you charge more or less if you offer a deal with more shows? Example: 2 shows $300, 4 shows $550 or do you charge $600 for the 4 shows?
You mean like it's one gig but two shows within an hour or so or as same gig but spread over two days? The way I usually make things like this up is in my mind and I usually have a certain price which is just basically just for coming out which would be my minimum fee and then depending on all those different types of factors I might add a couple of bucks. So let's say you have two gigs, everything is identical with them but one wants you to do two shows and the other one well then of course you can charge more when you do two. However much more you want to charge is up to you. Doesn't have to be that much more really but make sure when talking to whoever is organizing the gig with you that you not only clarify what your fee is but also exactly what is given for that fee. Usually if they want something different they will just say so and then ask you to state a new price of course and after that you can add however much you like.

But yeah so two identical gigs but one wants one show and the other wants two well in my opinion that doesn't really validate making any crazy price raises. Perhaps 20 % more at most.
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: DanTheMan on Jun 18, 2011, 08:19: AM
All of you who want to hear more of this advice and want your questions be answered... come to Prague for World Champ where we are going to set up "Oli´s Advice Corner" called "OAC: what´s bothering you, my freestyle pal?"

Agree, Oli? :great:

LOL PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE ahahaha
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: L_I_S on Jun 18, 2011, 04:07: PM
You mean like it's one gig but two shows within an hour or so or as same gig but spread over two days? The way I usually make things like this up is in my mind and I usually have a certain price which is just basically just for coming out which would be my minimum fee and then depending on all those different types of factors I might add a couple of bucks. So let's say you have two gigs, everything is identical with them but one wants you to do two shows and the other one well then of course you can charge more when you do two. However much more you want to charge is up to you. Doesn't have to be that much more really but make sure when talking to whoever is organizing the gig with you that you not only clarify what your fee is but also exactly what is given for that fee. Usually if they want something different they will just say so and then ask you to state a new price of course and after that you can add however much you like.

But yeah so two identical gigs but one wants one show and the other wants two well in my opinion that doesn't really validate making any crazy price raises. Perhaps 20 % more at most.
Oh okay, I understand the minimum price thing.
Thanks for that.
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: SvenF on Jun 19, 2011, 07:06: AM
Today I did a show for free, for an organization that helps out children suffering from cancer. I did it for free because there were some other Luxembourgish artists that are more known than me and did it for free as well, it was all for a good cause. I got 3 new LP offers from there. Sometimes it also pays off to get paid less or do something for a good cause. :)
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: oLi on Jun 19, 2011, 07:17: AM
Today I did a show for free, for an organization that helps out children suffering from cancer. I did it for free because there were some other Luxembourgish artists that are more known than me and did it for free as well, it was all for a good cause. I got 3 new LP offers from there. Sometimes it also pays off to get paid less or do something for a good cause. :)
Certainly. I would never suggest anyone to charge anything when doing charity events. That destroys the whole charity purpose.

Good job by the way! Also happy to hear that you landed some gigs from it!
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: DanTheMan on Jun 19, 2011, 07:32: AM
yeah very nice! i agree with Oli, its also nice to do a charity event for free, but MAKE SURE its a charity event! and like Sven said, there were better known artists than him also doing for free, so do ur research first..

another thing, if someone approaches you and tries to guilt you into doing a charity event dont be afraid to say no.. i hate when people try to make you out to be an asshole if you just dont have time/dont feel like doing a charity event, in some small school or random thing

my last tip and one that i find important is. - dont be "embarassed" about your fee. if someone asks you (in real life, to your face) how much you charge, it might seem a bit outrageous when you say 350,300, whatever.. but its your work, if you dont value yourself nobody will, so just name your fee. dont lower it on the spot so it seems more "acceptable" to the person..

peeeeeace
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: rodrigoFS on Jun 19, 2011, 09:22: AM
thanks a lot oLi, the goal and improvement advice sounds great
 :great:  :sign0098:
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: Kitti on Jun 19, 2011, 03:16: PM
I found the training tips more inspiring than Rocco's videos. Hope there's more to come. :)
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: L_I_S on Jun 19, 2011, 03:24: PM
I found the training tips more inspiring than Rocco's videos.
Outrageous!
Title: Re: A word of advice
Post by: JRFreestyler on Jun 20, 2011, 07:26: AM
Thanks  oli all this info was really helpful
haha oli the plato of freestyle philosophy